Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hello everyone. So this week I’ve been bombarded with emails telling me to write more about the people and the work. Everyone that wrote me this week said something about doing more of that so that is something I will try to work on. Sorry I haven't been fulfilling my email duties but these past weeks we haven't had much success in helping people with commitments and finding investigators but this week was a little better so I’ll focus on those things this week.  But of course I do have some stories and just some highlights from this week so I’ll start off with that.  
 
First things first... it has been a busy week and have been filled with traveling. We actually had the opportunity to go to Bacolod and attend a meeting with all those in my batch and their trainers. Not everyone was there cause some places are too far away but luckily Me, Elder Pulshipher and Elder Cannon were all there so that was fun to have us all back together and talk about our experiences and recount on the old days when we were at the mtc.  That was pretty.  But the training we had was really good. President Lopez talked to everyone at first about our true purpose and how it is to bring to past the immortality and eternal life of all men and the only way you can do that is through the gospel. He talked about how believing in Christ is not enough.  We need to know Christ. We need to know who He is. What He does. How He does it. What He does for us. It’s really interesting cause I’ve never really thought of it but this gospel is truly the only way to Know Christ.  Many people believe in Him which is great but their actions never lead them to know Him. It’s the repentance process  and the reading of the scriptures. The praying that we truly learn of Chirst and get to know who He is what He does for us. I really liked that.  After that we had lunch. Just soup and rice. It was okay. I wasn’t really hungry. Had a fever on and off last week so I didn’t have much appetite but they did bring out the ice ceam and and I did have an appetite for that! haha. Typical me! But then after that we got split up. Trainers and trainies. The trainies with President and the trainers with the AP's.  In our time with President we had a round table and he was just asking us about our trainers and asking how we felt if we were to train and who we would rather be trained by and who we would want to train. American or Pinoy.  At first I thought I’d rather be trained by a Philippino and train an American but now I think I’d go Philippino both ways. I feel like the philippinos just understand the people, the culture, the language and everything so much better than Americans. That is going to help me progress and become a better missionary.  At first I thought I’d rather train an American so I could help him feel comfort those first weeks but then I thought that what it comes down to is if you want missionaries to progress or be comforted. It definitely depends on the missionary and the situation but I know for sure with me I’d progress way faster than I have with a Philippino. Someone who understands the langauge and someone I can just take full advantage of.  That’s one thing I’ve felt a lack in my training is that I haven’t had the full advantage of a companion to really train me. Elder Leng is a great guy. Great missionary and great trainer but for me it’s just hard sometimes cause I feel like maybe I’ve been progressing slower than I can cause of the lack of resources I have. So at times I feel a little discouraged like I could be doing so much more but then I have to remember I’ve been here in the field for 2 months now and I’ll progress... I just have to be patient. So that trainers training meeting really opened up my eyes.  Then we had time with the AP's and they just said to always be evaluating your teaching nightly or after lessons and as you check your progress in things you do you can only rise to a new level.  So that was a great day in Bacolod. By the way... I also bought a new umbrella in Bacolod but haven’t used it yet because there has been no rain. Something that would happen! haha. It’s been like a straight week without rain. Something that never happens here. I guess it doesn’t rain March and April here.
 
So for people we have taught this week. 
 
We have a new investigator. He will be hard, but were are going to try.
 
Bro Simeon - Brother Simeon is a 69 year old man. Very Baptist. Very smart. He knows the bible very well and always has something to defend or say.  We taught him up to the Apostasy and he understands everything we have taught him.  We really think that as we teach the apostasy and the restoration we hope the Spirit will touch his heart cause he’s too selfish in his Baptist ways. If he doesn’t feel the spirit he won’t understand the importance.  He is a very nice guy and very open to discussion which I love cause he actually talks to us unlkike everyone else who just sits there when we ask questions. But brother Simeon always has something to say. I find myself leading the discussions.  Really hoping that we can turn him into a investigator to a progressing investigator and hopefully a baptism!
 
Bro Pilapil - Brother Pilapil is probably about 56 years old and is a returning member. He’s been inactive for years and randomly showed up to church one week a few weeks back. We have been visiting him every week and since then he hasn’t missed church. He is really progressing and we really enjoy him and we see that us visiting him is really helping him feel fellowshippped and welcomed and he continues to come to church. 
 
Those are two of my favorites that are progressing and that I enjoy teaching. 
 
But family and friends. I hope that all of you are doing well. This week has been pretty good! I just keep continuing doing everything thing that I’m doing and I’m enjoying it. I hope that all is well back home and I enjoy all your letters and it sounds like all is well!!! I know the church is true and I know that everything I’m doing is the right thing. As I’m obedient and strive my best, the days are never bad.  I’m thankful for all that I have and I’m so thankful I can share it with others!
 
Love Elder Sargent,
 
P.S.  I got my package! So thankful for the snacks and the ties! Me and Elder Leng are eating well now. I shared a trail mix with Elder Pulsipher and he was very happy to see that! So that was a great joy to get! Thanks a lot!   

 
me in a open field! 

ME walking doing my work

No comments:

Post a Comment