Monday, February 11, 2013


Monday, February 11, 2013

Hey there family! So this week marks my first transfer already in the mission.  I can’t believe Febuary is almost halfway over this week! But that means in like 2 weeks I’ll be 4 months out.. 1/6 done with my mission. Time moves fast for sure! I’m doing great and improving everyday, it feels like, so thats a huge positive! 
 
So this week has been really slow moving but it’s been of the best weeks so far in the mission. Kinda weird how that works out for me. I think maybe just cause back home things are moving fast with everyones lives and family. Then I’m just here all the way around the world! haha. idk. But it’s alright...at least it was a good week!
 
So just some things from my end about this week!
 
So this is all random things then I'll talk about my week more! I figured out this week that we can listen to music. It has to be a cd though cause we have dvd players in every appartment so we can play church music.  So if you wanted to send me some church cds or make some and send them that would be sweet! I got your package with the Sour patch kids and the cards! Very fun! Those sour patch kids were down within 5 minutes! haha. In my zone the zone leaders saw my id from Corona when I had my long hair... I now have a nickname.... Jonas Brothers! haha they either are like "Jonas Brothers! how you doing" or they'll just say "Joe Jonas" but it’s funny cause they have their little Philippino accent when they say it! My zone leaders are way good guys. Elder Olaya and Elder Tannagan. Both Philippinos. One leaves in 2 transfers so like 12 weeks, and the other has till October! But yeah I thought you guys would think that was funny. Even though I’m not a fan of the Jonas Brothers at least I get recognized as someone in a boy band! haha! Also, for Uncle Dave(on moms side)  there is a guy that looks like the Philippino version of him! It’s so funny and what makes it better is that he drives a motorcycle! haha! I see him all the time and I’m just like hey Uncle Dave! I’ll have to get an incognito picture sometime if I have a chance! haha
 
So that’s pretty much it for randoms.. It sounds like you guys are having a great week with Dax and Kaleb’s baptism! I’m so proud of Kaleb and know he’s going to be a good missionary some day! Hope all the other families are doing good. By the way.. When is Makennas baptism date. Is there one yet? 
 
So for this week! It was way sweet! It started out on Monday with P-day  and just P-days are always great! Good time to relax and just have some good food in the city of Sagay. (so i live in Bug-ang try that on google maps and if you can’t find that look up Minapasok that’s like the area that I live in. So I’m not sure if it’s a city or a town!)  But yeah, like a solid week for sure! On Tuesday we had a special district meeting cause President Lopez came and talked to our zone for training! He gave some really good insight on Church attendance. I don’t have my jouranl with me right now to talk about anything in particular but he just basically talked about strengthening the church and our wards and stakes through baptism. He said the more we expound the church church the more we can strengthen the church. He said you have to expound to strengthen and strengthen to expound. For me, I’ve realized that in this area we are in the strengthening stage! We have one investagator who is 9 years old whose parents are inactive and don’t have desire to come back to church so we are looking for more to teach but we are really trying to work with members and fellowshipping! haha. We have 325 members but yesterday only 49 showed up. And it’s mostly all women and children! I dont know. It’s weird, me and Elder Leng feel like we are doing our best teaching but at the same time we are pulling some lower numbers but we feel like we are doing more then just teaching so thats good! We are improving. . They say they understand me 100% of the time like accent wise but my grammer gets messed up sometimes so when that happens they say it’s like 75%-85% depending. For me, that’s pretty good! I’m really trying not to plateau and really work on figuring out vocabulary and grammer so that way my goal is to just really know this language as early as I can.  I’m understanding about 60-70 percent depending on the person but from context I understand pretty much everything! So I’m definitely improving! 
 
This week I had districts exchanges!  Me and Elder Pulsipher hit it up strong here in my area of Minapasok.  He has really improved his skills with speaking wise! We actually had a really fun day! That one picture with damout mga bata(many children) I sent was one area we went to.  It’s about a 30 minute walk from the city into the buk-kid (jungle) and when we got there I’m pretty sure most of them just didn’t know what to do with two Americans... one 6'2 and one like 6'3 1/2! haha It’s like we were movie stars walking into a movie theater! haha. Everyone just came over and stared at us. We invited all them to sit down and listen to our message.  We shared just a simple message on trusting in the Lord and the people seemed to love it! So that was way cool! I feel like when I was with Elder Pulsipher we both felt like we learned more from each other. Just cause I’m pretty sure I could connect with Elder Pulsipher better and it was just so fun cause it was like teaching with a best friend.  That is definitely something cool about the mission-the friends you make. I know that I’m making some of my best friends here. Now I know how it is with Shauna and her comps and Nat and her comps and what not!  
 
That was pretty much the highlight of my week!
 
This mission is so fun and just an oppurtunity of a lifetime! 2 years is going to fly fast and I’m going to miss it for sure! I already know that! The things that I learn and feel everyday just amaze me.  I know that this church is true and I’m so thankful for the knowledge we have of everything! It’s truly a blessing! I’m so thankful for my life right now!
 
Well family! Know that I love you and miss you! I hope everyone the best and hope that all is well back in the USA! Here in the Philippines all is good! Know that I’m safe and happy and ready to work hard these next 2 years, 20 months, 80 something weeks. 600 something days. Whatever the time, I’m going to live it to the fullest! I love it!
 
Love you all!
 
Elder Sargent

No comments:

Post a Comment